Blog: Never mind the catwalk...
Joe Ayling | 19 July 2010
Punk rockers The Sex Pistols have been voted the most influential band on British dress sense.
Studded leather jackets and offensive T-shirts are symbolic of the late 70s punk movement, inspired by top designers like Vivienne Westwood.
And the punk look edged out Michael Jackson's glove and Madonna's cone bra in a semi-serious poll by PRS for Music.
PRS also found in a 2,000 person survey from across the UK, that 40% of the population’s fashion tastes have been influenced by their music preference.
Men prove to be most likely to let their dress sense mirror their favourite music, at 41%, while 39% of women admit the same.
Ellis Rich, chairman of PRS, says: "Since the rise of pop music, it has become more and more common for the public’s dress sense to meet their music tastes. While bands like Abba got the ball rolling back in the 70’s, there has been an incredible emergence of new trends blossoming out of the music industry."
A personal favourite from the list - Oasis - came in tenth, despite the efforts of singer Liam Gallagher to set up his own clothing line last year.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report