Blog: New Year, new outlook
Leonie Barrie | 19 December 2008
I'm in the process of writing a management briefing looking at the top apparel industry issues to watch in 2009 – and, as always, it would be nice to have a crystal ball to hand to help me with the task. In the absence of one of those, it’s interesting to see what experts in various fields have to say about their specialist areas, and one of the most consistently accurate is from financial analyst IHS Global Insight.
Its chief economist Nariman Behravesh was pretty much on the mark with eight out of 10 of his predictions for 2008 – so it’s a fair bet he’ll be right again with what he’s forecasting for 2009.
Not surprisingly it makes for gloomy, if compelling, reading.
In a nutshell, he believes the US and world economies are about to suffer through some of the worst recessions in the post-war period. Most measures of economic and financial activity look like they fell off a cliff in September and October, and have been deteriorating at an alarming rate ever since. The United States is now officially in a recession that started in December 2007. Japan and many European countries are in the same boat. At the same time, growth in most emerging markets is faltering. IHS Global Insight believes global growth will be in the 0.0 – 0.5% range during 2009, compared with 2.7% in 2008.
How are apparel firms likely to fare? Well I’m still working on that one, and you’ll have to wait until January to see the prognosis.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack