Blog: Nike's ongoing restructuring
Leonie Barrie | 11 February 2009
Nike is keen to stress that a cull of up to 1,400 jobs is part of a wider restructuring announced a couple of years ago rather than a symptom of the current economic climate.
The realignment will “bring the company closer to consumers, reduce management layers and leverage efficiencies to increase speed-to-market advantages globally,” the company said. And it will include a review of the sportswear giant’s entire supply chain from the sourcing base to the retail footprint.
Although Nike has largely been shielded from the economic slowdown – in December it recorded a 9% increase in second quarter profit to US$391m, boosted by strong performances in Asia Pacific and the Americas – US demand is slowing and profits have been hurt by the strong dollar.
But it is pinning its future growth on a focus on six core categories: running, basketball, football (soccer), women’s fitness, men’s training and sport culture. These areas alone are expected to generate about 75% of the Nike brand’s growth by 2011.
Smart fabrics and wearable technology go hand in hand. And with strong growth forecast over the coming years, it's no wonder fashion and software companies are developing new products to tap into the ...
Esprit and Benetton have been quick off the mark to celebrate their ratings as “Detox leaders” in this year’s “Detox Catwalk” rankings. The online platform is designed to assess fashion brands’ record...
Fashion brands and retailers need to embrace “radical change” in their apparel sizing and fit strategies if they are to remain competitive in a changing environment, according to executives at a recen...
Bangladesh's textile and clothing exporters, still reeling from the impact of continuing political unrest in the country, now say they are facing a second shock wave: the freefall of the euro. Industr...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- Rana Plaza fund call grows as anniversary nears
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019