Blog: No logo
Leonie Barrie | 11 April 2005
I was surprised to hear that the power of fashion brands, logos and labels continues to decline. A new survey – the Brand Keys Fashion Index – has found that several major league sports didn’t make the cut onto its top 10 list this year. Apparel logos, labels and trademarks are also declining in importance according to the majority of the survey’s respondents. Even fashion-conscious younger adults (21 to 34) appear to be rejecting the use of clothing as a statement about themselves.
Of those brands that did make it onto the list, Ralph Lauren moved up and Tommy Hilfiger (which fell from the list in 2003) made a return. First-timers included: Isaac Mizrahi, Kate Spade and Dockers. However, the Gap disappeared from the Top 10 list among both men and women in all age segments. Robert Passikoff, president of Brand Keys, points out that The Gap has had problems identifying a meaningful positioning – but that the hiring of singer Joss Stone as the new face of the brand may help it better communicate the basic Gap values. He adds that: “If you disappoint your consumers, you're bound to see disappointing returns.”
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report