Blog: No respite for UK retailers
Petah Marian | 29 November 2011
While Christmas is the highlight of the year for most retailers, this year it will be even more important, with shoppers set to curtail their spending again in the new year.
With the CBI seeing sales decline more quickly for clothing retailers in November, Frances Coulson, the president of insolvency specialist R3 believes that the next few months will be critical for businesses.
"The next few months will be crucial for retailers who need to build up their reserves before the New Year, as this is when consumers will curtail their spending once again," said Coulson.
According to R3's Business Distress Index, the retail sector is experiencing significantly higher signs of distress than any other sector, with retail businesses more likely than any other to be concerned about their debt levels. It also found that six in ten retailers were experiencing a decline in profit and that almost half had seen a drop in sales volume.
"Things are far from being back to normal on the high street," it said. "The difficult international economic situation, the government's austerity measures, high inflation and stagnant wages will continue to put pressure on consumers."
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Trump blows the case for Brexit out of the water
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- Duty-free trade key to build Africa supply chains
- Bangladesh slips as US imports decline in October
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- Outdoor apparel sector set for double-digit growth
- World cotton price prospects lifted again
- US Q3 in brief – Destination Maternity, Cherokee
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores