Blog: Old Navy lost at sea
Leonie Barrie | 20 February 2008
Despite her impeccable retail pedigree, Dawn Robertson has failed to build the “exciting vision for the future of Old Navy” which was promised when she was hired as its president in October 2006.
Since then, the Old Navy discount chain has been the biggest drag on Gap's performance, with fourth quarter same-store sales falling 5% in the three months to 2 February compared with a 3% fall for the company overall.
Initiatives launched by Robertson have included a re-focus on clothing for women in their 20s instead of the whole family, as well as getting merchandise into the stores more quickly.
She also hired fashion designer and television personality Todd Oldham as design creative director for the Old Navy division, to help make the merchandise more fashionable as well as launching an exclusive line under his own name.
But so far these moves haven’t been enough to stop the flow of budget-conscious shoppers away from its stores to other low-priced merchants like Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl’s and JC Penney. It’ll be interesting to see what plans her successor has up his or her sleeve.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022