Blog: Old Navy lost at sea
Leonie Barrie | 20 February 2008
Despite her impeccable retail pedigree, Dawn Robertson has failed to build the “exciting vision for the future of Old Navy” which was promised when she was hired as its president in October 2006.
Since then, the Old Navy discount chain has been the biggest drag on Gap's performance, with fourth quarter same-store sales falling 5% in the three months to 2 February compared with a 3% fall for the company overall.
Initiatives launched by Robertson have included a re-focus on clothing for women in their 20s instead of the whole family, as well as getting merchandise into the stores more quickly.
She also hired fashion designer and television personality Todd Oldham as design creative director for the Old Navy division, to help make the merchandise more fashionable as well as launching an exclusive line under his own name.
But so far these moves haven’t been enough to stop the flow of budget-conscious shoppers away from its stores to other low-priced merchants like Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl’s and JC Penney. It’ll be interesting to see what plans her successor has up his or her sleeve.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020