Blog: Old Navy lost at sea
Leonie Barrie | 20 February 2008
Despite her impeccable retail pedigree, Dawn Robertson has failed to build the “exciting vision for the future of Old Navy” which was promised when she was hired as its president in October 2006.
Since then, the Old Navy discount chain has been the biggest drag on Gap's performance, with fourth quarter same-store sales falling 5% in the three months to 2 February compared with a 3% fall for the company overall.
Initiatives launched by Robertson have included a re-focus on clothing for women in their 20s instead of the whole family, as well as getting merchandise into the stores more quickly.
She also hired fashion designer and television personality Todd Oldham as design creative director for the Old Navy division, to help make the merchandise more fashionable as well as launching an exclusive line under his own name.
But so far these moves haven’t been enough to stop the flow of budget-conscious shoppers away from its stores to other low-priced merchants like Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl’s and JC Penney. It’ll be interesting to see what plans her successor has up his or her sleeve.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- US Q4 in brief – Macy's, Walmart, VF Corp
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar