Blog: Olympic journey begins
Joe Ayling | 9 March 2011
Sportswear is on the agenda this morning (8 March) when just-style attends a one-day ASBCI seminar on the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The ASBCI, which stands for the Association of Suppliers to the British Clothing Industry, has changed its annual conference format for more frequent seminars.
Among the speakers today will be Speedo, Triumph and Marks and Spencer, with sessions on both sportswear and swimwear.
Last July the children's wear was the subject, and just-style heard about recessionary pressures on the market.
However, London 2012 is likely to provide a more upbeat discussion point in Leicester today, not least relating to the opportunities it brings for retailers.
Either way, the move to more snappy seminars is a refreshing one by the ASBCI.
Together with next month's Royal Wedding, the effects of which just-style reported yesterday, the 2012 Olympics are likely to bring some much-needed optimism back to the UK.
That is, of course, providing the Olympic Park is finished on time - and you can even view the building progress on these webcams.
With the exposure of a captive audience and millions of visitors ahead, clothing brands also need to construct an Olympic strategy, perhaps starting today.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar