Blog: Olympics fever begins in UK
Joe Ayling | 22 March 2010
Excitement is already gathering in the UK ahead of the London 2012 Olympics, even though it is more than two years before the games begin and the Olympic Park is still a building site.
Clothing retailer Next has been named official clothing and homeware supplier to the games, effective immediately.
Next will design outfits for the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as formal suits for British teams and formal uniforms for 4,500 technical officials.
The event promises to bring some much-needed stimulus to the UK economy, and demand for tickets suggests it will not disappoint.
According to this newspaper article, thousands have already signed up for the chance to go along, with a total of 10m seats expected to be filled eventually.
Next will be hoping that come 2012 the games are remembered for British gold medals and world records, rather than the less glamorous transport chaos currently stifling the nation's flagship airline.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report