Blog: Optimism, pessimism and nudity - welcome to 2012
Petah Marian | 4 January 2012
While industry watchers wait for the US' top retailers to release their December sales tomorrow, across the pond, UK retailers began revealing their Christmas performance, with John Lewis and Next both posting positive results.
US retailers are particularly optimistic, with the NRF forecasting a 3.8% sales rise in mid-December. Despite John Lewis and Next both posting gains, analysts remain concerned about the health of the UK high street.
Shore Captial analyst Clive Black said that Next's "mellow" end of year trading shows the "ongoing challenges facing the UK consumer", and this "must have a potentially negative read across for other apparel retailers on the high street".
From across the pond, to across the Channel, La Redoute has become mired in a twitter storm today, as an image advertising children's beach wear, inadvertently included a nude man frolicking in the water behind them.
The retailer fixed the image and apologised on Twitter within around two hours of it being initally reported. Like most Twitter storms, there has been a lot of noise, but it's likely to die down quickly.
When many companies take days to rectify these viral complaints (see Topman last year), La Redoute should be applauded for moving quickly to fix the image and apologise to customers who might have been offended.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack