Blog: Phil Wrigley interview
Joe Ayling | 12 August 2009
Over the next week just-style will be running a two-part extended interview with Phil Wrigley, retail mogul and chairman of international value fashion chain New Look.
After months of trying to track Phil down at retail conferences the world over, an interview slot was agreed at the company's London office last month.
It was well worth the wait though, and an in-depth discussion with just-style news editor Joe Ayling covers everything from green shoots, to stores in Dubai, to paying a living wage in Bangladesh.
After gaining experience at retailers Bhs, Dorothy Perkins and Debenhams, Phil took charge as CEO of New Look when it went private in 2004, but relinquished his executive duties in April.
His comments on the economy and value fashion forms the first part of this Speaking with style series, which can be read here.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020