Blog: Pocket power
Leonie Barrie | 30 September 2004
Have you ever wished you could put your hands in your pockets while strapped into your seat, or put your left hand into your right side pocket or vice versa? No don’t laugh. Apparently it’s a problem that’s been vexing Massachusetts clothing designer Steve Gomes, president of Xway Apparel, who’s just developed a patent pending pocket that enables you to do just this.
Thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense. For instance, if you’re in a wheelchair or suffer with back pain or a temporary or permanent loss of use of one hand, you can still get into either pocket. The designer also suggests it could prevent accidental loss or theft while on vacation, or make life easier when you’re at the bank or pharmacy. You might not think you need the Altax pocket just now, but it could well be coming to a garment near you soon.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report