Blog: Pound stores the only high street hit
Joe Ayling | 22 October 2009
The typical UK high street has been transformed by the current recession, leaving it unrecognisable from its former self.
Clothing and footwear shops, general merchandise stores and gift boutiques have paved the way for stores selling goods for just a pound and charity shops.
According to an ongoing BBC investigation into the typical UK high street of Shirley, near Southampton, the collapse of Woolworths last year signalled the transition.
Furthermore, many of the shuttered store fronts are yet to be replaced, with vacancy rates soaring and residents forced to travel to larger shopping centres for specialist items.
The BBC finds that there are now 1,423 discount stores in the UK - up 60% since the recession took hold.
Specialist fashion outlets in the UK will hope that the green shoots of recovery will blossom into their recovery next year, because 99p clothes are not an option.
By Joe Ayling.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar