Blog: Price hikes
Leonie Barrie | 8 October 2004
Interesting comments from Ernst & Young earlier this week when it released its latest Quarterly Market Basket price comparison report. A disappointing back-to-school season is one of the main reasons for falling apparel prices it says. But Jay McIntosh, the firm’s Americas director of retail and consumer products, believes: "Concerns over quotas will put pressure on retailers to raise apparel prices in the fourth quarter. In addition, blockages at West Coast ports and throughout the railroad system might delay store deliveries and result in merchandise shortages for the critical holiday season.”
Thinking about an upward shift in prices, my eye caught a similar remark made by Adidas-Salomon’s CEO Herbert Hainer at an investor presentation. Not one for beating around the bush, he said the apparel industry needs to lift prices. "Nike, Reebok, retailers, everyone, must have an interest in bringing prices up, otherwise no one will make any money," he said. Hainer must know what he’s talking about: he’s hiked earnings estimates twice during the year.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack