Blog: Putting the boot in
Leonie Barrie | 20 June 2006
A new report by NGO ActionAid Vietnam suggests that as EU footwear sanctions start to bite, they’re putting up to 500,000 workers in Vietnam’s footwear industry out of work. One million people in Vietnam could soon be living on just around EUR1 a day it says. The research was carried out by ActionAid Vietnam and the Vietnam Leather and Footwear Association (Lefaso), and calculates a lack of orders from the EU has cut Vietnamese sales by 15-60% this year.
The findings mirror exactly what has happened to Chinese exports to the EU (and US) after quotas were imposed on some of its clothing exports last year. Instead of sourcing locally or from countries closer to home, retailers and importers have simply transferred a substantial amount of their business to countries like India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. And all this means an acceleration in the move offshore - which is the very result the industry lobbyists hoped to avoid.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020