Blog: Putting the boot in
Leonie Barrie | 20 June 2006
A new report by NGO ActionAid Vietnam suggests that as EU footwear sanctions start to bite, they’re putting up to 500,000 workers in Vietnam’s footwear industry out of work. One million people in Vietnam could soon be living on just around EUR1 a day it says. The research was carried out by ActionAid Vietnam and the Vietnam Leather and Footwear Association (Lefaso), and calculates a lack of orders from the EU has cut Vietnamese sales by 15-60% this year.
The findings mirror exactly what has happened to Chinese exports to the EU (and US) after quotas were imposed on some of its clothing exports last year. Instead of sourcing locally or from countries closer to home, retailers and importers have simply transferred a substantial amount of their business to countries like India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. And all this means an acceleration in the move offshore - which is the very result the industry lobbyists hoped to avoid.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016