Blog: Putting the boot in
Leonie Barrie | 24 March 2006
Yesterday’s decision by the EU member states to “approve” anti-dumping duties on EU leather footwear imports from China and Vietnam has sent tempers rising. But did you know that just three (Malta, Slovakia and Belgium) of the EU’s 25 member states voted in favour of the measure while 11 voted against it? Surely by anyone’s calculations that’s not a majority?
Well, according to Brussels it is. Under its arcane rules, the 11 other member states that abstained are considered to have voted in favour of the proposal. So the Commissions recommendations were carried on a 14 (3 Yes + 11 Abstentions) to 11 vote. No wonder it’s not only the Chinese who can’t see the joke.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar