Blog: Raising tax rebates
Leonie Barrie | 24 October 2008
Most countries would be envious if their GDP growth was anywhere close to 9%. But earlier this week China’s government took that fact that its GBP growth had fallen to 9% - the slowest rate in five years - as a trigger to raise its export tax rebates for the second time since August.
The rebate for clothing and textiles will rise from 13% to 14% as part of attempts to help exporters hit by rising production costs and a slowdown in demand. Although the jury’s still out on just how much this move will stimulate demand in overseas markets battling their own slowdowns.
But it will no doubt add fuel to US textile protectionists who are on the look-out for evidence of “predatory trade practices” and “illegal subsidies” as they try to persuade the US government to monitor imports from China for illegal dumping.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- "Buy American, Hire American" to guide Trump trade
- Ten retail trends to watch for in 2017
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Trump signs order to withdraw from TPP
- UK clothing factory workers paid half minimum wage
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022