Blog: Rapper prompts Caribbean Clarks craze
Joe Ayling | 8 July 2010
A Jamaican rap artist has helped footwear firm Clarks towards cult status in the country, thanks to his latest song about the brand.
The UK shoe firm has seen a surging demand in Jamaica since rapper Vybz Kartel - see below - released his curiously spelt 'Clarkes' song.
Clarks Originals feature heavily in the song and its accompanying video, often being dusted off with a toothbrush, strangely enough.
Originals and Wallabees shot to fame during the 90s when Brit Pop groups Oasis and The Verve showcased them on album covers.
A decade on and it looks like the iconic shoes have crossed music genres into rap.
And with lyrics like: "The leather's hard, the suede soft, a toothbrush gets off the dust fast," it's all rather complimentary.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022