Blog: Rapper prompts Caribbean Clarks craze
Joe Ayling | 8 July 2010
A Jamaican rap artist has helped footwear firm Clarks towards cult status in the country, thanks to his latest song about the brand.
The UK shoe firm has seen a surging demand in Jamaica since rapper Vybz Kartel - see below - released his curiously spelt 'Clarkes' song.
Clarks Originals feature heavily in the song and its accompanying video, often being dusted off with a toothbrush, strangely enough.
Originals and Wallabees shot to fame during the 90s when Brit Pop groups Oasis and The Verve showcased them on album covers.
A decade on and it looks like the iconic shoes have crossed music genres into rap.
And with lyrics like: "The leather's hard, the suede soft, a toothbrush gets off the dust fast," it's all rather complimentary.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar