Blog: Rapper prompts Caribbean Clarks craze
Joe Ayling | 8 July 2010
A Jamaican rap artist has helped footwear firm Clarks towards cult status in the country, thanks to his latest song about the brand.
The UK shoe firm has seen a surging demand in Jamaica since rapper Vybz Kartel - see below - released his curiously spelt 'Clarkes' song.
Clarks Originals feature heavily in the song and its accompanying video, often being dusted off with a toothbrush, strangely enough.
Originals and Wallabees shot to fame during the 90s when Brit Pop groups Oasis and The Verve showcased them on album covers.
A decade on and it looks like the iconic shoes have crossed music genres into rap.
And with lyrics like: "The leather's hard, the suede soft, a toothbrush gets off the dust fast," it's all rather complimentary.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020