Blog: Recycled jeans in Focus
Leonie Barrie | 1 December 2010
Car company Ford thinks it has found a perfect fit for recycled clothing: inside the new 2012 Focus. It is taking its "reduce, reuse and recycle" mantra to a new level by incorporating cotton from recycled blue jeans in carpet backing and sound-absorption materials used in the model, which goes on sale early next year in North America and Europe.
The auto-maker is no stranger to eco-friendly materials, having already found ways to include soy foam seat cushions, recycled resins for underbody systems, recycled yarns on seat covers and natural-fibre plastic for interior components. But this is the first time it is using post-consumer cotton - with the equivalent of two pairs of average-sized American jeans now set to turn up in each car.
"The good news is these jeans didn't end up in a landfill, nor did we use the water, fertilizer and land to grow virgin cotton," said product sustainability manager Carrie Majeske. And unlike other old clothes that turn up in the bottom of a closet or behind the washing machine, they're being put to good use.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts