Blog: Retail ‘critical’ list
Leonie Barrie | 7 October 2008
In its analysis of retail insolvencies over the past year, rescue and recivery specialist Begbies Traynor alarmingly puts clothing and footwear firms at the top of the pile. From a peak of 27% of all UK insolvencies in the first quarter of 2008, clothing and footwear firms dipped to 18% and then 19% of the total in the second and third quarters respectively. In July/August this stood at 17% but rose to 23% in September.
The firm has now placed 323 retailers on its ‘critical’ list, and believes 70% of these could go out of business in the New Year.
Why the New Year, when firms will have traditionally had a seasonal boost to their coffers? Well it’s in January that some of the Christmas stock will have turned into cash, which will have reduced the amount owed to the banks – who will then pull the plug.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar