Blog: Retail sales kicked into touch
Leonie Barrie | 12 July 2006
Despite retailers’ optimism of a World Cup boost in June, it now seems its impact was in fact negligible. Figures from the British Retail Consortium show that sportswear was one category for which football boosted sales, but that in the clothing and footwear sector as a whole, like-for-like sales weren’t as good as the previous month. Total UK retail sales in June rose 2.3% on a like-for-like basis, but were compared against a weak June 2005.
So, all the excitement around the ‘festival of football’ wasn’t enough to help consumers forget about other worries such as their personal finances. And as if disappointment on the sporting field wasn’t enough to contend with, it’s now a case of retailers needing to shape up and get back to business as usual.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Technology key to shopper experience
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022