Blog: Retail sales kicked into touch
Leonie Barrie | 12 July 2006
Despite retailers’ optimism of a World Cup boost in June, it now seems its impact was in fact negligible. Figures from the British Retail Consortium show that sportswear was one category for which football boosted sales, but that in the clothing and footwear sector as a whole, like-for-like sales weren’t as good as the previous month. Total UK retail sales in June rose 2.3% on a like-for-like basis, but were compared against a weak June 2005.
So, all the excitement around the ‘festival of football’ wasn’t enough to help consumers forget about other worries such as their personal finances. And as if disappointment on the sporting field wasn’t enough to contend with, it’s now a case of retailers needing to shape up and get back to business as usual.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar