Blog: Retailers escape budget blitz
Leonie Barrie | 18 March 2004
UK retailers can breathe a sigh of relief that there wasn't anything in yesterday's budget that's likely to impact on their businesses by taking money out of the economy. Although we're in a typically quiet period post-Christmas and pre-Easter just now, things should start to pick up as the Easter period approaches the pundits say.
But Paul Clarke, national director, Retail & Wholesale Sectors at Barclays, warns that price deflation probably can't continue for much longer. "Over the past 15 months we have seen a continuous weakening of the dollar. This has contributed substantially to the price deflation of goods that emanate from dollar based economies or those that price in dollars. If the dollar starts to stabilise or even strengthen we could begin to see substantial price pressures feeding through which are going to have to be absorbed by retailers (unlikely in the main) or passed on to consumers who have become used to ever cheaper prices."
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Technology key to shopper experience
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022