Blog: Retailers take on 'price' issue
Joe Ayling | 17 March 2011
It is day two of the Retail Week Conference in London, where Asda boss Andy Clarke will be presenting to the masses.
The supermarket recently vowed to make its grocery products 10% cheaper at the till than its rivals. Should Clarke follow suit with clothing, its value jeans will be
cheaper to replace than wash.
Yesterday's speakers said much about changing consumer needs, and whether value clothing is part of this remains to be seen. Many in the industry would like to see people buy frewer but better quality products, but the reality is that the likes of George and Primark thrived during the downturn.
In this morning's schedule at the Hilton Metropole, Clarke will follow on from the managing director of rival Waitrose, who is aply named Mark 'Price'. Also speaking today are Joseph Wan, CEO of Harvey Nichols, and John Lewis' head of multi-channel Simon Russell.
Check back for further coverage on just-style as the day goes on.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Is China losing its edge as a US apparel supplier?
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report