Blog: Ricky Gervais gets serious about fur
Joe Ayling | 2 September 2008
An animal rights campaign has gone all the way to the UK's Ministry of Defence (MOD) this week, demanding that the royal guards at Buckingham Palace change their iconic fur hats.
It follows years of protesting against the bearskin hats by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' (PETA), and comedian Ricky Gervais has supported the campaign by sending a letter to UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown.
PETA officials met with representatives from the MOD today, and are exploring the possibility of a synthetic alternative for the hats, which have been worn since the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
In his letter, funnyman Gervais, the star of The Ofiice and Extras, says on this occasion it is no laughing matter and calls for "a humane changing of the guards".
And for those just-style readers who have seen The Office, let's face it, David Brent would be most proud of him.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack