Blog: Royal appointment for just-style
Joe Ayling | 13 June 2007
just-style was in the company of royalty yesterday (12 June) at the annual UK Fashion Export Awards.
HRH The Princess Royal presented the awards following a three-course lunch at the Landmark Hotel in London, for those nominees calm enough to eat.
Looking around the room at such awards is a bit like going window-shopping with living mannequins, and each designer at the event was proud to brandish their own goods. In the midst of such glamour, my journalist-style suit seemed a little boring, despite having “gambled” on a stripey tie.
Aside from the royal presence, my highlight of the afternoon resulted from the seating plan, which placed me between two nominees with fascinating business stories. Orsola De Castro, a Venetian pioneer of sustainable fashion with the brand From Somewhere, and the founder of Goat Fashion were two ladies with successful export credentials to the US and Italy.
When a colleague asked Goat’s Jane Lewis if she had practiced a speech prior to winning the New Exporter of the year prize, she replied that such an exercise would serve no purpose, as she never wins anything. Well Jane, if you are reading, you have now and if your women’s wear brand continues to attract attention from the likes of Elle Macpherson, Sienna Miller, Keira Knightly, Jemima Khan, Erin O’Connor, Gwyneth Paltrow and Nicole Kidman, then you could soon become a celebrity yourself.
Princess Anne, longstanding (no pun intended) president of UK Fashion Exports, said in her speech that she was keen to support the developing relationship between industry members and the role of IT. The organisation has just launched a new website, with product finders, a members-only section, briefing notes and legal topics.
To find out more about the winners of each award, click here for just-style’s coverage of the event.
Joe Ayling, news editor
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- EU urged to adopt roadmap for Sri Lanka GSP+ bid
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack