Blog: Sainsbury’s banks on change of direction
Leonie Barrie | 11 November 2003
In recent years non-food items have turned into a phenomenal money-spinner for supermarkets – the George at Asda range is the UK’s second largest clothes retailer by volume – so it is no wonder that Sainsbury’s is making renewed efforts to regain lost ground on market leaders Tesco and Asda.
Despite his success, however, former TV presenter and Warehouse clothing chain founder Banks has always struck me as lacking mainstream credibility. Instead, he is a great marketer who has spread his name and reputation far and wide. Sainsbury’s needs to bring in new - and differentiated - clothing lines, instead of counting on a name that can also be picked up in various guises from fashion to home furnishings in Debenhams, Matalan and Argos.
Despite being unashamedly mass-market, this is exactly what has been achieved with the George range at Asda and Tesco's Cherokee line.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack