Blog: Sara Lee sells Courtaulds
Leonie Barrie | 9 May 2006
It’s a sad day when the once-mighty Courtaulds has to be effectively given away due to lack of interest from cash-ready buyers. Back in June 2000, Sara Lee paid GBP150.5m (US$230m) for the UK’s largest producer of intimate apparel and underwear, which then had annual sales of US$1.5bn. Last year, it had sales of just one-third of this, at US$560m. And today, adding insult to injury, is the news that Sara Lee has also had to stump up impairment charges of US$34m. None of the purchasers have revealed their future plans for the acquisitions, but Sara Lee is no doubt relieved that this chapter in its history is nearing an end.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts