Blog: Self-cleaning clothes
Leonie Barrie | 16 June 2004
I’ve just been listening to news reports about how we’re inching closer to the cloning of human embryos – a concept once relegated solely to the pages of a science fiction novel. On another level, reports that scientists in Hong Kong have developed a fabric coating which removes dirt and grime when exposed to sunlight has echoes of the plot of the classic 1951 Ealing comedy The Man In The White Suit, where Alec Guinness invents a fabric which always stays clean.
Current applications for the real-life breakthrough technology are mind-boggling. How about self-washing cars and permanently shiny kitchen floors and worktops? And is this the beginning of the end for washing machines? More research is needed before we start to see self-cleaning clothes in high street shops, but manufacturers are said to be watching developments closely. A word of warning though: Alec Guinness’s character ends up being pursued by angry textile firms who believe he will put them out of work.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- EU urged to adopt roadmap for Sri Lanka GSP+ bid
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack