Blog: Self-cleaning clothes
Leonie Barrie | 16 June 2004
I’ve just been listening to news reports about how we’re inching closer to the cloning of human embryos – a concept once relegated solely to the pages of a science fiction novel. On another level, reports that scientists in Hong Kong have developed a fabric coating which removes dirt and grime when exposed to sunlight has echoes of the plot of the classic 1951 Ealing comedy The Man In The White Suit, where Alec Guinness invents a fabric which always stays clean.
Current applications for the real-life breakthrough technology are mind-boggling. How about self-washing cars and permanently shiny kitchen floors and worktops? And is this the beginning of the end for washing machines? More research is needed before we start to see self-cleaning clothes in high street shops, but manufacturers are said to be watching developments closely. A word of warning though: Alec Guinness’s character ends up being pursued by angry textile firms who believe he will put them out of work.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective