Blog: Self-cleaning clothes
Leonie Barrie | 16 June 2004
I’ve just been listening to news reports about how we’re inching closer to the cloning of human embryos – a concept once relegated solely to the pages of a science fiction novel. On another level, reports that scientists in Hong Kong have developed a fabric coating which removes dirt and grime when exposed to sunlight has echoes of the plot of the classic 1951 Ealing comedy The Man In The White Suit, where Alec Guinness invents a fabric which always stays clean.
Current applications for the real-life breakthrough technology are mind-boggling. How about self-washing cars and permanently shiny kitchen floors and worktops? And is this the beginning of the end for washing machines? More research is needed before we start to see self-cleaning clothes in high street shops, but manufacturers are said to be watching developments closely. A word of warning though: Alec Guinness’s character ends up being pursued by angry textile firms who believe he will put them out of work.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022