Blog: Shipping box raises sourcing questions
Joe Ayling | 11 November 2008
An ongoing investigation into the shipping of goods around the world by the BBC has caught just-style's eye, as the BBC's container box is currently full of clothes.
Starting out in September, the sponsored box carried Scotch whisky to Shanghai, where it picked up clothing and is on its way to the US laden with fashion goods made in China.
The project is designed to show the realities of globalisation and how shipping might develop in the future.
The BBC has found out that larger container ships are on the horizon, with a capacity of 8,000 40 foot boxes. However, it points out that with many ports and harbours currently too small for these larger ships to dock, and loading times to subsequently rise, there is a fine balance between quantity and quality of service.
The environmental costs of shipping to meet the needs of globalisation will also increase in the future.
All in all, the truths about sourcing are coming into the mainstream and as questions continue to be asked, costs continue to rise for companies sourcing from halfway across the world.
It is whether they rise enough to look elsewhere that will concern retailers, brands and manufacturers alike.
Joe Ayling, news editor.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar