Blog: Shipping box raises sourcing questions
Joe Ayling | 11 November 2008
An ongoing investigation into the shipping of goods around the world by the BBC has caught just-style's eye, as the BBC's container box is currently full of clothes.
Starting out in September, the sponsored box carried Scotch whisky to Shanghai, where it picked up clothing and is on its way to the US laden with fashion goods made in China.
The project is designed to show the realities of globalisation and how shipping might develop in the future.
The BBC has found out that larger container ships are on the horizon, with a capacity of 8,000 40 foot boxes. However, it points out that with many ports and harbours currently too small for these larger ships to dock, and loading times to subsequently rise, there is a fine balance between quantity and quality of service.
The environmental costs of shipping to meet the needs of globalisation will also increase in the future.
All in all, the truths about sourcing are coming into the mainstream and as questions continue to be asked, costs continue to rise for companies sourcing from halfway across the world.
It is whether they rise enough to look elsewhere that will concern retailers, brands and manufacturers alike.
Joe Ayling, news editor.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar