Blog: Shopping with a conscience
Leonie Barrie | 2 December 2008
For those of you who will be giving Christmas presents this year, how about shopping with a conscience?
A new guide lists sweatshop-free options for consumers who want to purchase men’s, women’s and baby wear, coats, T-shirts, footwear and even sports equipment which have all been made under ethical conditions.
Produced by SweatFree Communities and the International Labor Rights Forum, the 2009 Shop with a Conscience Consumer Guide lists retailers and wholesalers who have been vetted to ensure their products meet sweatfree criteria – which include safe working conditions, living wages and good benefits for workers, unions or worker-owned cooperatives. The companies even list the sources of their products.
A great way to give gifts – and also support those firms who care where their merchandise comes from.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report