Blog: Short on festive cheer
Leonie Barrie | 18 December 2006
There are just six shopping days left until Christmas and already it looks as though this could be a particularly tough year for the retail trade. I’ve never seen so many prices slashed in the run-up to the big day, and the flurry of savage discounts on display in most shops shows how desperate retailers are to catch any last-minute sales.
There’s talk that the coming week will make or break the year for many of the UK’s biggest chains. It’s also likely that consumers are playing the waiting game – and winning – in the knowledge that retailers will eventually slash their prices even further or appeal through a “buy one get one free” promotion in an attempt to drum up business.
Fashion retailers have already had to contend with an exceptionally mild autumn which has dampened demand for winter clothing ranges, and sadly it looks as though things can only get worse for them. I don’t envisage much festive cheer when it comes to reporting results next year.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts