Blog: Short on festive cheer
Leonie Barrie | 18 December 2006
There are just six shopping days left until Christmas and already it looks as though this could be a particularly tough year for the retail trade. I’ve never seen so many prices slashed in the run-up to the big day, and the flurry of savage discounts on display in most shops shows how desperate retailers are to catch any last-minute sales.
There’s talk that the coming week will make or break the year for many of the UK’s biggest chains. It’s also likely that consumers are playing the waiting game – and winning – in the knowledge that retailers will eventually slash their prices even further or appeal through a “buy one get one free” promotion in an attempt to drum up business.
Fashion retailers have already had to contend with an exceptionally mild autumn which has dampened demand for winter clothing ranges, and sadly it looks as though things can only get worse for them. I don’t envisage much festive cheer when it comes to reporting results next year.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020