Blog: Showers hit April sales
Leonie Barrie | 11 May 2007
April’s US retail sales figures were worse than disappointing according to an index of 51 leading chains compiled by the International Council of Shopping Centers. It says the 2.3% drop in sales compared with April of last year is the largest since the trade group started keeping records in the 1970s – and that the results were much weaker than already-depressed forecasts were suggesting.
Almost unanimously, retailers say they were hit by unusually cold weather in April, an early Easter that pulled sales forward to March, and rising fuel prices that curtailed spending. And they’re putting a positive spin on the chances of a summer pick-up. Despite their optimism, though, there are fears that the sales slide might mark the start of a more widespread slump in the economy, and that troubles in the US housing market are starting to weigh on consumer spending. It’s definitely a tough environment for retailers, and whatever they might say, the short-term outlook doesn't look that much better either.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack