Blog: Showers hit April sales
Leonie Barrie | 11 May 2007
April’s US retail sales figures were worse than disappointing according to an index of 51 leading chains compiled by the International Council of Shopping Centers. It says the 2.3% drop in sales compared with April of last year is the largest since the trade group started keeping records in the 1970s – and that the results were much weaker than already-depressed forecasts were suggesting.
Almost unanimously, retailers say they were hit by unusually cold weather in April, an early Easter that pulled sales forward to March, and rising fuel prices that curtailed spending. And they’re putting a positive spin on the chances of a summer pick-up. Despite their optimism, though, there are fears that the sales slide might mark the start of a more widespread slump in the economy, and that troubles in the US housing market are starting to weigh on consumer spending. It’s definitely a tough environment for retailers, and whatever they might say, the short-term outlook doesn't look that much better either.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report