Blog: Showers hit April sales
Leonie Barrie | 11 May 2007
April’s US retail sales figures were worse than disappointing according to an index of 51 leading chains compiled by the International Council of Shopping Centers. It says the 2.3% drop in sales compared with April of last year is the largest since the trade group started keeping records in the 1970s – and that the results were much weaker than already-depressed forecasts were suggesting.
Almost unanimously, retailers say they were hit by unusually cold weather in April, an early Easter that pulled sales forward to March, and rising fuel prices that curtailed spending. And they’re putting a positive spin on the chances of a summer pick-up. Despite their optimism, though, there are fears that the sales slide might mark the start of a more widespread slump in the economy, and that troubles in the US housing market are starting to weigh on consumer spending. It’s definitely a tough environment for retailers, and whatever they might say, the short-term outlook doesn't look that much better either.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016