Blog: Sir Stuart enjoys last hurrah
Joe Ayling | 14 July 2010
Sir Stuart and Twiggy at today's AGM
Russian spies, headless gingerbread men and slow clapping all figured at Marks and Spencer's annual general meeting (AGM) in London today (14 July).
Sir Stuart, who was re-elected as chairman for the last time, signed off with a snapshot of his six years in charge of the UK's clothing retailer - from Plan A to the ravages of recession.
There was even an appearance by iconic M&S model Twiggy, who wheeled out Sir Stuart's famous clothing trolley for his annual presentation of best performing fashion items.
New CEO Marc Bolland must have wondered what was going on, as chuckling shareholders lapped up the party atmosphere orchestrated by his predecessor.
But as Bolland said, Sir Stuart has installed a family ethos at Marks and Spencer, meaning that AGM day feels more like an event than a chore.
Reflecting on his time in charge, he said: "I am enormously proud to have led this company over the past six years, it has been a privilege and a pleasure."
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective