Blog: Skechers pushes Adidas off US No.2 spot
Michelle Russell | 19 May 2015
It seems Adidas has been caught napping after Skechers passed the German sporting giant to take its second place in the sports footwear market in the US.
Accounting for 5% of the market, Skechers has pushed Adidas into third place at 4.6%. According to the Wall Street Journal, Nike and the Jordan brand retain the joint number one position with a combined 62% share of the US sports footwear market.
Skechers posted another quarter of record revenues last month, with net profit nearly doubling on last year’s first-quarter.
The fast-growing footwear business said continued strong demand for lifestyle, performance and children’s footwear had driven gains in the first three months of 2015.
Zacks Equity Research said in a note to investors: “Skechers has been gaining momentum following its impressive first-quarter 2015 performance. Shares of this designer, developer, marketer, and distributor of footwear have surged roughly 31% since 22 April, when the company announced its results. We believe that the company's strong fundamentals are capable of providing further impetus to the stock.”
Sportswear firm Reebok International has named former Elie Saab and Kenneth Cole executive, Thomas Steinbruck, as its creative director, tasked with overseeing creative direction for the company's foo...
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy....
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at why UK retailer Marks & Spencer is the top company for monitoring and reporting on modern slavery, how a potential minimum wage in Vietn...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020