Blog: Skirting the issue
Leonie Barrie | 3 August 2004
The eight yards of cloth that make up a traditional Scottish tartan kilt have long been the subject of endless debate. How should the kilt be worn, by whom and with what underneath? With the number of registered tartans running into the thousands, tartan and kilts are part of a multimillion pound industry. Businesses who want to raise their Scottish profile are having their own tartan designed and now, it seems, fashion entrepreneurs have hit on the garment as ripe for a shake-up. A Scottish company has launched a new designer kilt brand called Kilt2 with the aim of “showing the world what a funky and practical garment the kilt can be, freeing men forever from the fashion tyranny of trousers.” Its tartan2 collection retails at over £1000 and features designs including screen prints, dark blue denim, lettering and heat-foam plasticated applique.
The all-important question of what to wear under your kilt is also coming in for scrutiny. One of Scotland's oldest kilt-hire companies is demanding that its customers wear pants under their Highland dress as it’s having to spend so much time and money cleaning dirty kilts. I wonder how they’ll enforce that rule?
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- US Q1 in brief – Steve Madden, Skechers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts