Blog: SLAEA 25th anniversary celebration
Leonie Barrie | 14 November 2007
I had a fantastic opportunity to catch up with many familiar faces last night at the Sri Lankan Apparel Exporters’ Association annual meeting, which was attended by hundreds of the industry’s top players. By coincidence, this year is also the 25th anniversary of the association, and amidst much reminiscing about the industry’s ups (and downs) – and hilarity at the way executive attire and hairstyles have changed over the years – it was more than apparent that the bedrock on which the sector built itself is much the same a quarter century later.
Of course worries over quota allocation are long gone, but what is still the same is the way private sector manufacturers are working together rather than promoting their individual interests to build the industry internationally, along with a genuine concern for the welfare of their workers. From a standing start in 1982, they’ve built an industry with exports of around $3bn, which is quite an achievement.
It’s lucky the companies get on so well since they seem to spend a lot of time socialising with each other! Tonight a graduate catwalk show is being organised to show off the skills of local design students, followed by a gala reception. I’ve got an early start tomorrow, with meetings that will continue well into the evening, but I think I’ve earned my glass of wine this-evening!
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022