Blog: SLAEA 25th anniversary celebration
Leonie Barrie | 14 November 2007
I had a fantastic opportunity to catch up with many familiar faces last night at the Sri Lankan Apparel Exporters’ Association annual meeting, which was attended by hundreds of the industry’s top players. By coincidence, this year is also the 25th anniversary of the association, and amidst much reminiscing about the industry’s ups (and downs) – and hilarity at the way executive attire and hairstyles have changed over the years – it was more than apparent that the bedrock on which the sector built itself is much the same a quarter century later.
Of course worries over quota allocation are long gone, but what is still the same is the way private sector manufacturers are working together rather than promoting their individual interests to build the industry internationally, along with a genuine concern for the welfare of their workers. From a standing start in 1982, they’ve built an industry with exports of around $3bn, which is quite an achievement.
It’s lucky the companies get on so well since they seem to spend a lot of time socialising with each other! Tonight a graduate catwalk show is being organised to show off the skills of local design students, followed by a gala reception. I’ve got an early start tomorrow, with meetings that will continue well into the evening, but I think I’ve earned my glass of wine this-evening!
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack