Blog: Snubbed by an angel
Leonie Barrie | 15 June 2004
So, singer Charlotte ‘Voice of an Angel’ Church has spurned the chance to be the face of Marks & Spencer. She’d have followed in the footsteps of David Beckham and actress Claire Sweeney – neither of whom had much success in reviving the troubled retailer if you look at the state it’s in now – but ironically felt a tie-up would ruin her image.
Just when M&S seems to be getting its act together, along comes another snub. Charlotte reportedly told a friend: “It would be all right if it was a decent shop but M&S is where your mum shops.” But this is exactly what boss Stuart Rose himself said last week: "No 17-25 year old is ever going to shop at M&S.” And at a wild guess, they never have. M&S hasn't got the wrong customers says Clothesource’s Mike Flanagan. It has simply, for the past few years, been incapable of meeting their needs. M&S sells – or should sell – good-value, quality clothes to grown-ups for themselves and their children.
Few companies ever have the wrong customers: many, sadly, turn out to have the wrong managers. And from all the heads rolling around just now, it seems M&S has finally sat up and taken note.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack