Blog: Snubbed by an angel
Leonie Barrie | 15 June 2004
So, singer Charlotte ‘Voice of an Angel’ Church has spurned the chance to be the face of Marks & Spencer. She’d have followed in the footsteps of David Beckham and actress Claire Sweeney – neither of whom had much success in reviving the troubled retailer if you look at the state it’s in now – but ironically felt a tie-up would ruin her image.
Just when M&S seems to be getting its act together, along comes another snub. Charlotte reportedly told a friend: “It would be all right if it was a decent shop but M&S is where your mum shops.” But this is exactly what boss Stuart Rose himself said last week: "No 17-25 year old is ever going to shop at M&S.” And at a wild guess, they never have. M&S hasn't got the wrong customers says Clothesource’s Mike Flanagan. It has simply, for the past few years, been incapable of meeting their needs. M&S sells – or should sell – good-value, quality clothes to grown-ups for themselves and their children.
Few companies ever have the wrong customers: many, sadly, turn out to have the wrong managers. And from all the heads rolling around just now, it seems M&S has finally sat up and taken note.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022