Blog: Snubbed by an angel
Leonie Barrie | 15 June 2004
So, singer Charlotte ‘Voice of an Angel’ Church has spurned the chance to be the face of Marks & Spencer. She’d have followed in the footsteps of David Beckham and actress Claire Sweeney – neither of whom had much success in reviving the troubled retailer if you look at the state it’s in now – but ironically felt a tie-up would ruin her image.
Just when M&S seems to be getting its act together, along comes another snub. Charlotte reportedly told a friend: “It would be all right if it was a decent shop but M&S is where your mum shops.” But this is exactly what boss Stuart Rose himself said last week: "No 17-25 year old is ever going to shop at M&S.” And at a wild guess, they never have. M&S hasn't got the wrong customers says Clothesource’s Mike Flanagan. It has simply, for the past few years, been incapable of meeting their needs. M&S sells – or should sell – good-value, quality clothes to grown-ups for themselves and their children.
Few companies ever have the wrong customers: many, sadly, turn out to have the wrong managers. And from all the heads rolling around just now, it seems M&S has finally sat up and taken note.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar