Blog: Sourcing strategies
Leonie Barrie | 26 November 2009
It seems so simple now doesn’t it? Looking back into the not-so-distant past, there were just two to four seasons a year. What a luxury. There was time to spend sourcing, sending garments backwards and forwards, working in big batches, two or three range review meetings, and crucial decisions made at key points.
It’s the exception now for a retailer to just have a few collections per year. Instead it’s the norm for retailers to be trying to drop new products in on a regular basis. Today there are six to eight seasons – with others working towards 10-12 phases throughout the year and some, like Zara, offering weekly deliveries to their stores.
What does constant innovation do to an organisation? Changing traditional ways of manufacturing where everything is made in an orderly manner now seems to be the name of the game, with decisions made constantly.
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
The countdown is over: we’ve now opened applications to join the testing program for just-style’s new apparel sourcing planning tool, re:source....
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Update - Bangladesh "business as usual"
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar