Blog: Sourcing strategies
Leonie Barrie | 26 November 2009
It seems so simple now doesn’t it? Looking back into the not-so-distant past, there were just two to four seasons a year. What a luxury. There was time to spend sourcing, sending garments backwards and forwards, working in big batches, two or three range review meetings, and crucial decisions made at key points.
It’s the exception now for a retailer to just have a few collections per year. Instead it’s the norm for retailers to be trying to drop new products in on a regular basis. Today there are six to eight seasons – with others working towards 10-12 phases throughout the year and some, like Zara, offering weekly deliveries to their stores.
What does constant innovation do to an organisation? Changing traditional ways of manufacturing where everything is made in an orderly manner now seems to be the name of the game, with decisions made constantly.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020