Blog: Spice up your laundry
Joe Ayling | 18 August 2010
The race is on to invent new ways of drying your laundry, with denim firm Levi Strauss handing out prizes to the most novel ideas.
Leading innovations include artwork that doubles up as drying racks and a steel rack that disappear after use, called The Evaporation Station.
A panel of five eco-innovator judges declared a design called Nothing Is What It Seems by Canadian designer Caleb Hill as the winner of the Levi's Care to Air Design Challenge.
The competition was launched in June, and this week the finalists presented their clothes drying design solutions via video presentations that can be found here.
As previously blogged, a great place to find new fashion ideas is also Dragon's Den, a TV show for budding inventors. Earlier this month a British gentlemen appeared on the show looking for investment in his motorised washing line, but was left out to dry.
It seems doubtful that the age-old problem of drying clothes has an obvious fix that doesn't involve a rack, washing line and tumble dryer, but there's no reason we can't make these products a tad more glamorous.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020