Blog: Spice up your laundry
Joe Ayling | 18 August 2010
The race is on to invent new ways of drying your laundry, with denim firm Levi Strauss handing out prizes to the most novel ideas.
Leading innovations include artwork that doubles up as drying racks and a steel rack that disappear after use, called The Evaporation Station.
A panel of five eco-innovator judges declared a design called Nothing Is What It Seems by Canadian designer Caleb Hill as the winner of the Levi's Care to Air Design Challenge.
The competition was launched in June, and this week the finalists presented their clothes drying design solutions via video presentations that can be found here.
As previously blogged, a great place to find new fashion ideas is also Dragon's Den, a TV show for budding inventors. Earlier this month a British gentlemen appeared on the show looking for investment in his motorised washing line, but was left out to dry.
It seems doubtful that the age-old problem of drying clothes has an obvious fix that doesn't involve a rack, washing line and tumble dryer, but there's no reason we can't make these products a tad more glamorous.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar