Blog: Sporting spirit?
Leonie Barrie | 16 February 2006
The competition at this year’s Winter Olympic Games seems to be hotting-up, both on and off the slopes – and the winners are something of a surprise too. Let me explain. Kazakhstan might have had few realistic hopes of winning a medal but has just scooped one of the highest accolades in Italy by being voted the most stylish team to parade at the Olympic opening ceremony. The judges, top Italian fashion designers Dolce & Gabbana, told La Stampa newspaper that Kazakhstan’s athletes radiated style “in their black coats and Borsalino hats.”
However, other counties weren’t so lucky, and few feelings were spared as the acerbic-tongued duo got into their stride. The French athletes were just too “fancy,” the Chinese looked like “sandwiches,” and the Americans appeared to have underpants on their heads they said.
The point of all this, of course, was to try to identify hidden clues about a country’s “fashion identity” as conveyed by the team uniforms. I don’t know where this leaves the poor Germans though. A slip-up by adidas meant that about 30 German skiers were kitted out with caps in Belgium’s black-gold-red colour scheme. What this says about them might be a mystery – but I think it’s just as well that what they have to say about the incident is kept quiet too!
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar