Blog: Spotlight switches to African fashion designers
Leonie Barrie | 13 August 2014
With the spotlight already shining brightly on African textile and apparel production and its future potential, it is perhaps not surprising that there's also an increasing focus on African fashion as well.
The Cotton made in Africa (CmiA) campaign, along with independent African think tank the Inter Region Economic Network (IREN) and the African Fashion trend agency FA254, have just set up an African design contest with the aim of rebranding the African fashion and textile scene.
Young African fashion designers are being encourged to submit their portfolios to FA254, with the winner chosen by an international jury chaired by Vogue Germany chief editor Christiane Arp. The winner will also have the opportunity to present the collection during the Berlin Fashion Week 2015 and to produce their product with internationally renowned fashion companies.
"For the first time, it establishes a direct link between our CmiA cotton farmers who produce the sustainable raw material for the designs, African designers and the international Fashion scene," explains Tina Stridde, managing director of CmiA in Hamburg.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Inspection and certification firm Bureau Veritas is to launch a new suite of Smart Wear testing solutions alongside its engineering and test centre 7Layers....
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022