Blog: Sri Lanka Design Festival
Joe Ayling | 11 November 2010
just-style has jetted out to Colombo for this year's Sri Lanka Design Festival. The festival, which started up last year, includes an ethical fashion forum, factory visits and catwalk shows.
It is my first experience of the Asian country, which is looking to bounce back from a tsunami and civil war in recent years.
My initial impression from flying Sri Lankan Airlines is that the State is intent on getting back on track, starting with tourism. 'Mother Sri Lanka' was the tagline for the airlines welcome message, which encouraged locals to take pride in rebuilding their country.
Garments, of course, will play a large part of that too, together with ceylon tea, sugar and cinnamon exports.
Driving from the airport to our hotel near Colombo shows that improving infrastructure is central to progress. I am told the Colombo highway is as built up as roads get here, but we are still accompanied by goats, cows, tuk-tuks and fruit carts.
It does all add the charm though, and should make for an insightful week.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar