Blog: Sri Lanka Design Festival
Joe Ayling | 11 November 2010
just-style has jetted out to Colombo for this year's Sri Lanka Design Festival. The festival, which started up last year, includes an ethical fashion forum, factory visits and catwalk shows.
It is my first experience of the Asian country, which is looking to bounce back from a tsunami and civil war in recent years.
My initial impression from flying Sri Lankan Airlines is that the State is intent on getting back on track, starting with tourism. 'Mother Sri Lanka' was the tagline for the airlines welcome message, which encouraged locals to take pride in rebuilding their country.
Garments, of course, will play a large part of that too, together with ceylon tea, sugar and cinnamon exports.
Driving from the airport to our hotel near Colombo shows that improving infrastructure is central to progress. I am told the Colombo highway is as built up as roads get here, but we are still accompanied by goats, cows, tuk-tuks and fruit carts.
It does all add the charm though, and should make for an insightful week.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Walmart snaps up online fashion firm ModCloth
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective