Blog: Sri Lanka Design Festival
Joe Ayling | 11 November 2010
just-style has jetted out to Colombo for this year's Sri Lanka Design Festival. The festival, which started up last year, includes an ethical fashion forum, factory visits and catwalk shows.
It is my first experience of the Asian country, which is looking to bounce back from a tsunami and civil war in recent years.
My initial impression from flying Sri Lankan Airlines is that the State is intent on getting back on track, starting with tourism. 'Mother Sri Lanka' was the tagline for the airlines welcome message, which encouraged locals to take pride in rebuilding their country.
Garments, of course, will play a large part of that too, together with ceylon tea, sugar and cinnamon exports.
Driving from the airport to our hotel near Colombo shows that improving infrastructure is central to progress. I am told the Colombo highway is as built up as roads get here, but we are still accompanied by goats, cows, tuk-tuks and fruit carts.
It does all add the charm though, and should make for an insightful week.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020