Blog: Sri Lanka summary
Leonie Barrie | 16 November 2007
Here are just a few of the quotes that sum up my week here in Sri Lanka.
“Manufacturing is just a small part of the whole package.”
On Sri Lanka’s ethical standards compared with low cost countries…
“If India, China and Bangladesh raise their standards to Sri Lankan standards, we can compete on price. At the moment it is not a level playing field; when it is level, we can play.”
Finding the middle ground between fast-fashion and environmental issues…
“We’re trying to make it lean and green.”
On the synergies (or lack of) between buyers and manufacturers…
“You can make a car, or a computer, or a phone, more efficiently than a shirt. To make a pair of trousers, half the world is involved.”
With huge and heartfelt thanks to everyone who has made this trip such a memorable one, to each company who has welcomed me through its doors, the executives who have given up so much time to show me their factories and discuss their businesses, and of course to Professor Lakdas Fernando, professor emeritus at the University of Moratuwa, who not only put together one of the most comprehensive schedules I have ever seen, but who also took it upon himself to accompany me each and every step of the way.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Throwaway fast fashion model needs re-think
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack