Blog: Sri Lanka summary
Leonie Barrie | 16 November 2007
Here are just a few of the quotes that sum up my week here in Sri Lanka.
“Manufacturing is just a small part of the whole package.”
On Sri Lanka’s ethical standards compared with low cost countries…
“If India, China and Bangladesh raise their standards to Sri Lankan standards, we can compete on price. At the moment it is not a level playing field; when it is level, we can play.”
Finding the middle ground between fast-fashion and environmental issues…
“We’re trying to make it lean and green.”
On the synergies (or lack of) between buyers and manufacturers…
“You can make a car, or a computer, or a phone, more efficiently than a shirt. To make a pair of trousers, half the world is involved.”
With huge and heartfelt thanks to everyone who has made this trip such a memorable one, to each company who has welcomed me through its doors, the executives who have given up so much time to show me their factories and discuss their businesses, and of course to Professor Lakdas Fernando, professor emeritus at the University of Moratuwa, who not only put together one of the most comprehensive schedules I have ever seen, but who also took it upon himself to accompany me each and every step of the way.
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
The recent bankruptcy of South Korea's Hanjin Shipping, the world's seventh-largest container shipper, at the end of August, has left billions of dollars worth of merchandise in limbo, leaving the fal...
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020