Blog: Sri Lanka summary
Leonie Barrie | 16 November 2007
Here are just a few of the quotes that sum up my week here in Sri Lanka.
“Manufacturing is just a small part of the whole package.”
On Sri Lanka’s ethical standards compared with low cost countries…
“If India, China and Bangladesh raise their standards to Sri Lankan standards, we can compete on price. At the moment it is not a level playing field; when it is level, we can play.”
Finding the middle ground between fast-fashion and environmental issues…
“We’re trying to make it lean and green.”
On the synergies (or lack of) between buyers and manufacturers…
“You can make a car, or a computer, or a phone, more efficiently than a shirt. To make a pair of trousers, half the world is involved.”
With huge and heartfelt thanks to everyone who has made this trip such a memorable one, to each company who has welcomed me through its doors, the executives who have given up so much time to show me their factories and discuss their businesses, and of course to Professor Lakdas Fernando, professor emeritus at the University of Moratuwa, who not only put together one of the most comprehensive schedules I have ever seen, but who also took it upon himself to accompany me each and every step of the way.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report