Blog: Sri Lanka summary
Leonie Barrie | 16 November 2007
Here are just a few of the quotes that sum up my week here in Sri Lanka.
“Manufacturing is just a small part of the whole package.”
On Sri Lanka’s ethical standards compared with low cost countries…
“If India, China and Bangladesh raise their standards to Sri Lankan standards, we can compete on price. At the moment it is not a level playing field; when it is level, we can play.”
Finding the middle ground between fast-fashion and environmental issues…
“We’re trying to make it lean and green.”
On the synergies (or lack of) between buyers and manufacturers…
“You can make a car, or a computer, or a phone, more efficiently than a shirt. To make a pair of trousers, half the world is involved.”
With huge and heartfelt thanks to everyone who has made this trip such a memorable one, to each company who has welcomed me through its doors, the executives who have given up so much time to show me their factories and discuss their businesses, and of course to Professor Lakdas Fernando, professor emeritus at the University of Moratuwa, who not only put together one of the most comprehensive schedules I have ever seen, but who also took it upon himself to accompany me each and every step of the way.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing