Blog: St George's Day protests against A&F
Katie Smith | 24 April 2012
St George's Day - a celebration marking the patron saint of England famously slaying the dragon. The people of Chap magazine certainly celebrated in style - or at least they thought they did.
Armed with briefcases and their British tailored tweed suits, ties, hats and placards, the group of chaps and chapettes staged a protest yesterday (23 April) against teen apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch's plans to open a children's store on Savile Row, London.
The group started singing "All we are saying is, give three-piece a chance" adapted from John Lennon's original. Ironic really, considering 3 Savile Row used to be home of Apple Records, in which the Beatles gave their last concert on the roof in 1969.
The rain didn't seem to dampen their spirits but it did send them to the pub for a few drinks.
Abercrombie & Fitch didn't respond to requests for comment when contacted by just-style.
The group appear to be confident that Westminster Council will veto A&F's application to open the store and "allow it to remain the heartland of British bespoke tailoring".
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack