Blog: Suits you
Leonie Barrie | 23 July 2004
Our colleagues at Access Asia report that one of the major reasons companies commit horrendous mistakes in China is that they hear little snippets of information about problems, but then never follow up to see whether that problem was solved, went away or worsened.
Their latest newsletter offers an update on the power shortage now facing Beijing. This, it says, is "now so serious that electricity may be rationed to luxury hotels in a bid to conserve energy. Beijing may ask its big hotels to cut their power consumption by up to 20 per cent. Under the plan, electricity would simply be switched off once a hotel exceeded its quota. As was the case last year, shopping centres have also been instructed to cut back on air conditioning, escalators and lighting. So this summer expect the mall to be hot and your five-star hotel room possibly to be dark and clammy."
Another spin-off is "the official drive to discourage people from wearing suits." You have been warned!
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar