Blog: Summer sales slip blamed on Murray mania
Joe Ayling | 10 July 2009
In retail when it rains it pours. But what about when the sun shines?
Well, according to UK department store John Lewis that doesn't help either.
Its weekly sales bulletin for the week ending 4 July claims that the company saw an excellent result "given the distractions of sustained sunny weather and Andy Murray's progress at Wimbledon".
The British tennis star made the semi-finals at this year's tournament.
John Lewis sales were down 2.3% for the week, with children's wear the shining light among its fashion offering. The retailer is just beginning its clearance period, an admittedly "demanding time".
And just as Wimbledon finishes the Ashes begins, so the distractions look set to continue for department stores.
Unless it rains of course...
Joe Ayling, news editor.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022