Blog: Summer sales slip blamed on Murray mania
Joe Ayling | 10 July 2009
In retail when it rains it pours. But what about when the sun shines?
Well, according to UK department store John Lewis that doesn't help either.
Its weekly sales bulletin for the week ending 4 July claims that the company saw an excellent result "given the distractions of sustained sunny weather and Andy Murray's progress at Wimbledon".
The British tennis star made the semi-finals at this year's tournament.
John Lewis sales were down 2.3% for the week, with children's wear the shining light among its fashion offering. The retailer is just beginning its clearance period, an admittedly "demanding time".
And just as Wimbledon finishes the Ashes begins, so the distractions look set to continue for department stores.
Unless it rains of course...
Joe Ayling, news editor.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022