Blog: Summer sales slip blamed on Murray mania
Joe Ayling | 10 July 2009
In retail when it rains it pours. But what about when the sun shines?
Well, according to UK department store John Lewis that doesn't help either.
Its weekly sales bulletin for the week ending 4 July claims that the company saw an excellent result "given the distractions of sustained sunny weather and Andy Murray's progress at Wimbledon".
The British tennis star made the semi-finals at this year's tournament.
John Lewis sales were down 2.3% for the week, with children's wear the shining light among its fashion offering. The retailer is just beginning its clearance period, an admittedly "demanding time".
And just as Wimbledon finishes the Ashes begins, so the distractions look set to continue for department stores.
Unless it rains of course...
Joe Ayling, news editor.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar