Blog: Sushi style
Leonie Barrie | 7 July 2004
Try as I might, I'm still searching for a link between sushi and socks. One of the more bizarre press releases to come my way today is promoting a range of sushi-inspired baby socks, caps, and washcloths "which look like something out of your local sushi bar!" Now my understanding of sushi is, in the broadest terms, a Japanese dish of raw fish and other delicacies wrapped with rice and seaweed.
But US firm Pink Confection has taken this one step further: "Sushi & Socky contains two freshly rolled pieces of sushi made out of 3 pairs of rolled socks. In the middle is a coloured sock rolled inside of a white and then black sock. Washimi contains one coloured wash cloth resting on a white wash cloth, all tied together with black ribbon acting as seaweed. Cappa-Maki contains 3 baby caps in a roll. All are packaged in sushi take out containers with the ingredients and net weight on the labels."
To my mind this takes lateral thinking to the extreme. Maybe the range was inspired by a good meal - and a few too many bottles of sake rice wine!
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020