Blog: Sushi style
Leonie Barrie | 7 July 2004
Try as I might, I'm still searching for a link between sushi and socks. One of the more bizarre press releases to come my way today is promoting a range of sushi-inspired baby socks, caps, and washcloths "which look like something out of your local sushi bar!" Now my understanding of sushi is, in the broadest terms, a Japanese dish of raw fish and other delicacies wrapped with rice and seaweed.
But US firm Pink Confection has taken this one step further: "Sushi & Socky contains two freshly rolled pieces of sushi made out of 3 pairs of rolled socks. In the middle is a coloured sock rolled inside of a white and then black sock. Washimi contains one coloured wash cloth resting on a white wash cloth, all tied together with black ribbon acting as seaweed. Cappa-Maki contains 3 baby caps in a roll. All are packaged in sushi take out containers with the ingredients and net weight on the labels."
To my mind this takes lateral thinking to the extreme. Maybe the range was inspired by a good meal - and a few too many bottles of sake rice wine!
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective