Blog: Swimming into controversy
Leonie Barrie | 13 June 2008
I wonder if the swimming competitions at this year’s Olympics will be half as entertaining as the contest to come up with new swimwear designs to beat Speedo’s LZR Racer?
First there was the debate over whether technology has too much influence over the sport after a spate of records were broken by swimmers in the LZR. Then last month American manufacturer TYR Sport sued Speedo for stifling competition. And most recently, Japanese swimmers have been given the go-ahead to wear the LZR Racer at the Olympics, heaping embarrasment on three Japanese swimwear makers – Asics Corp, Descente Ltd and Mizuno Corp – who had contracts to equip the national team.
Swimwear makers still have until 30 June for new suits to be approved before the Beijing Games in August. But it seems increasingly likely that Speedo is already the out-and-out winner in this particular race.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022