Blog: Talking shop at Tesco
Joe Ayling | 19 April 2011
just-style has been invited into London this morning for a media briefing on UK retail giant Tesco's full-year results. The figures could hardly be described as sluggish - with profits soaring 11.3% on strong Asian demand - but domestic demand was down.
In terms of clothing sales, which reached the GBP1bn mark last year, the UK is where its at for Tesco.
On the way here I encountered the bullish tactics of another western food bohemoth, McDonald's, when a street rep handed me not one but 25 Big Mac vouchers. Not only that, but the vouchers are only valid today. Tesco will need a more effective tactic to continue its progress on UK soil.
The venue for today's briefing is The Royal Bank Of Scotland, and where else for a supermarket raking in GBP3.54bn profits last year.
Follow further coverage on just-style throughout the day and also on Twitter.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts