Blog: Talking shop at Tesco
Joe Ayling | 19 April 2011
just-style has been invited into London this morning for a media briefing on UK retail giant Tesco's full-year results. The figures could hardly be described as sluggish - with profits soaring 11.3% on strong Asian demand - but domestic demand was down.
In terms of clothing sales, which reached the GBP1bn mark last year, the UK is where its at for Tesco.
On the way here I encountered the bullish tactics of another western food bohemoth, McDonald's, when a street rep handed me not one but 25 Big Mac vouchers. Not only that, but the vouchers are only valid today. Tesco will need a more effective tactic to continue its progress on UK soil.
The venue for today's briefing is The Royal Bank Of Scotland, and where else for a supermarket raking in GBP3.54bn profits last year.
Follow further coverage on just-style throughout the day and also on Twitter.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020