Blog: Talking shop at Tesco
Joe Ayling | 19 April 2011
just-style has been invited into London this morning for a media briefing on UK retail giant Tesco's full-year results. The figures could hardly be described as sluggish - with profits soaring 11.3% on strong Asian demand - but domestic demand was down.
In terms of clothing sales, which reached the GBP1bn mark last year, the UK is where its at for Tesco.
On the way here I encountered the bullish tactics of another western food bohemoth, McDonald's, when a street rep handed me not one but 25 Big Mac vouchers. Not only that, but the vouchers are only valid today. Tesco will need a more effective tactic to continue its progress on UK soil.
The venue for today's briefing is The Royal Bank Of Scotland, and where else for a supermarket raking in GBP3.54bn profits last year.
Follow further coverage on just-style throughout the day and also on Twitter.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack