Blog: Tantalising trip home from SLDF
Joe Ayling | 18 November 2010
It's a return to the newsdesk for me after spending the past week reporting on Sri Lanka's apparel industry.
Sri Lanka Design Festival 2010 was a real success, for both the country and the international delegation there.
Eventually the time came to swap Colombo's coastline for Baltic Britain, as we boarded our Sri Lankan Airlines flight back to the UK.
There was more flirting with paradise to come though, as the plane touched down to drop off half the passengers in the Maldives.
Tantalisingly, the airline's front-view and ground-view cameras showed the white beaches and bright blue waters as we landed, before dozens of honeymooners skipped off into luxury.
Together with garments, tourism will be a key driver to Sri Lanka's economy for it to recover from a 30-year civil war.
The country wants to add green credentials and design elements to their clothing exports, and certainly seem to be thinking outside the box. As an industry expert told me on the flight home though, it will take long-term agreements with leading Western retailers to ensure a return on their investments.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack