Blog: Tantalising trip home from SLDF
Joe Ayling | 18 November 2010
It's a return to the newsdesk for me after spending the past week reporting on Sri Lanka's apparel industry.
Sri Lanka Design Festival 2010 was a real success, for both the country and the international delegation there.
Eventually the time came to swap Colombo's coastline for Baltic Britain, as we boarded our Sri Lankan Airlines flight back to the UK.
There was more flirting with paradise to come though, as the plane touched down to drop off half the passengers in the Maldives.
Tantalisingly, the airline's front-view and ground-view cameras showed the white beaches and bright blue waters as we landed, before dozens of honeymooners skipped off into luxury.
Together with garments, tourism will be a key driver to Sri Lanka's economy for it to recover from a 30-year civil war.
The country wants to add green credentials and design elements to their clothing exports, and certainly seem to be thinking outside the box. As an industry expert told me on the flight home though, it will take long-term agreements with leading Western retailers to ensure a return on their investments.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report