Blog: Tantalising trip home from SLDF
Joe Ayling | 18 November 2010
It's a return to the newsdesk for me after spending the past week reporting on Sri Lanka's apparel industry.
Sri Lanka Design Festival 2010 was a real success, for both the country and the international delegation there.
Eventually the time came to swap Colombo's coastline for Baltic Britain, as we boarded our Sri Lankan Airlines flight back to the UK.
There was more flirting with paradise to come though, as the plane touched down to drop off half the passengers in the Maldives.
Tantalisingly, the airline's front-view and ground-view cameras showed the white beaches and bright blue waters as we landed, before dozens of honeymooners skipped off into luxury.
Together with garments, tourism will be a key driver to Sri Lanka's economy for it to recover from a 30-year civil war.
The country wants to add green credentials and design elements to their clothing exports, and certainly seem to be thinking outside the box. As an industry expert told me on the flight home though, it will take long-term agreements with leading Western retailers to ensure a return on their investments.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022