Blog: Tartan tribute
Joe Ayling | 18 May 2010
Scotland's very masculine version of what many of us call a skirt - the kilt - has won praise as the globe's most popular traditional garment.
The kilt, first worn by men in the Scottish Highlands hundreds of years ago, has maintained a timeless appeal for trendsetters and fancy dress goers alike.
It fended off the kimono and grass skirt to the top-spot in a survey by travel group Sunshine.
While designers like the late Alexander McQueen were able to reinvigorate the kilt into a contemporary item, it is also a popular choice for wedding day attire in Scotland.
"The kilt is one of the most iconic fashion outfits in the world," Tessa Hartmann, Scottish Fashion Awards organiser, tells just-style.
"Designers continue to do different things with it; people like Paul Smith, Vivienne Westwood and the late Alexander McQueen have had great fun with the kilt. If you can pull off [wearing] a kilt, you can excel. It's much more of a statement than a black tie."
Scotland isn't short on products of timeless heritage - just look at haggis, bagpipes and Scotch whiskey - and it seems the kilt has also found a nifty balance between old and new.
Furthermore, the survey also found that most women find men wearing kilts more attractive, so, chaps, it might just be worth finding out what your family tartan is.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar